October 22, 2011 – After a Summer of training, the KINETIC Sculpt® athletes took their hard work to the road for the Rock n Roll 10K. We arrived before the sunrise at beautiful Prospect Park in Brooklyn last Saturday morning.
In our group were experienced runners and newbies. One athlete was forced to cancel due to work obligations. God laughs at our plans sometimes. We stay strong nonetheless.
Having run a number of races I must admit that the Rock n Roll event was extremely disorganized as far as races go. It was also expensive for what it was. The New Zealand Marathon and New Jersey Marathon were better run at a similar price point. As this is the inaugural year perhaps it will improve. Here is a checklist of what went wrong:
- Friday, the day before the event, pre-race check-in was a disaster. There were long waits. There were no swag bags for athletes and a limited number of shirts available. There were no small shirts at start. By 6pm, there were only large shirts then eventually none. Some of my athletes traveled from work to pre-register and were sent home empty handed. They were told to register Race Day and exchange shirt sizes then.
- There was absolutely NOTHING in the swag bag to look forward to despite the promotion otherwise. Contents: Advertising for other Rock n Roll races, one liquid energy gel and one pain relief creme sample.
- On Race Day, there were obscenely long lines for on-site registration. It took our runners 30 minutes to get through.
- The pre-race bag check-in was chaotic with bags being tossed into a truck that was in a hurry to get off the race course.
- Post-race bag retrieval was bedlam with bags tossed onto the grass and other racers cued in a mob waiting for their names to be called by bag handlers still unloading.
- For a race that is about MUSIC, there were four DJ’s on the route and not enough speakers. Most of the race was very quiet.
- There were few in any supporters on the road.
- The line to redeem the voucher for a t-shirt was 1000 people long. No exaggeration.
- THREE days later and still no photos or finisher certificate available.
- The staff and volunteers were very pleasant.
- Nice finisher medal
- Free beer and beverages after the event
- The Postelles Concert was fun
- It was a beautiful location and awesome day
As a fitness pro, I get most excited by the training of athletes. You get to make a huge contribution to their lives and their lifestyle. When someone feels the exhilaration of a race, it changes them forever. This is why I work hard every day and give my heart to serving others.
Goals are important. They drive you. They focus you. They keep you strong when life throw road blocks in your path. They teach you the power of conviction.
EXERCISE CONSCIOUSLY is not just a tag line. It is a way of life.
Results and Reflections:
Thanks to all for your friendliness & fun support… Especially Erwin! Looking forward to meeting future challenges and goals…
Goal: Enjoy 10K. See my group thru. Don’t get hurt. Don’t worry for race time. 3 out of 4 ain’t bad.
Leave a Reply
I would like you to put yourself first, trust your instincts and think of how your every workout can make your life better outside the gym. more